Wednesday, November 6, 2013

A Dangerous Reminder



I was sitting in a restaurant recently reading Paul David Tripp's book, Dangerous Calling, when I became aware of a conversation taking place in the booth behind me. A women was telling her friend that her husband of over 35 years had committed adultery and wanted a divorce.

The context of this discussion amazed me. While I was reading Tripp's warning to pastors to guard their hearts, I could not avoid the on-going discussion between these two friends about a marriage disintegrating due to marital infidelity.

My heart ached as I overheard this woman agonize over the sale of their home and the financial issues surrounding their imminent divorce. 

What should she tell their adult children? What about family events during the Christmas season? What about her anger towards her husband and the other woman? Should she go for counseling?

I left the restaurant feeling a mixture of sorrow and an upset stomach. When you are in your late fifties you should be enjoying your grandchildren, not preparing for the demise of your marriage.

How does a couple married for over thirty five years get to that place? How does a man in his sixties get off track and enter into an adulterous relationship with a woman other than his wife?

As Paul David Tripp reminds us in Dangerous Calling, it is always possible when we don't guard our hearts.

I am thankful for that dinner because even we who are in ministry need that dangerous reminder.


No comments:

Post a Comment